Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Words Are For Helping

In kindergarten we're continuing to learn about how to solve conflicts.  Last week we worked on "Wait and Cool Off" from Kelso's wheel, and this week we're learning how to "Talk it Out."  I began by reading "Words are Not for Hurting" written by Elizabeth Verdick.  This is a great book that illustrates how we must carefully choose our words when speaking to others.  It gives specific examples of helpful words vs hurtful words to explicitly teach what is appropriate to say, as well as what to do if you do choose hurtful words to remedy the situation.


Afterwards, I introduced a basic version of my "I Message" poster that includes 3 simple steps:
  1. I feel ____________
  2. When you _________________
  3. Can you please stop?


We then brainstormed things others do that bug us...



And created our own "I Messages"...




No comments:

Post a Comment