Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Habit 2: Begin with the End in Mind

Habit 2 — Begin with the End in Mind

Have a Plan

I plan ahead and set goals. I do things that have meaning and make a difference. I am an important part of my classroom and contribute to my school’s mission and vision. I look for ways to be a good citizen.

We began this weeks lesson by reviewing what they remembered from Sean Covey's book about Habit 2.  I followed up with an inspirational video created by the Kahn Academy called "You Can Learn Anything."




Students loved the idea that we all start at "0" and we must learn everything through our experiences and our mistakes.  I shared a graphic of famous failures to extend our discussion on how we all face obstacles in our life and it's how we choose to handle them that makes all the difference.



I then had students complete a series of activities compiled by Rachael Wallace form TeachersPayTeachers (link here)  The first was a survey on if they are a "go-getter" or a "day dreamer."  Armed with this information, we created a Wish List of things they were interested in achieving.



After teaching them how to write a SMART goal, they picked one thing off of their wish list to turn into a SMART goal.

S - Specific
M - Measurable
A - Attainable
R - Realistic
T - Timely


Here are some example pages from 2 students:

Goal: Apple Laptop


 Goal: Pogo Stick



No comments:

Post a Comment