We started off the school year with a community building project inspired by the book, Only One You written by Linda Kranz.
I visited each class to read the beautiful book and discuss the powerful words of wisdom Adri's parents teach him throughout the pictures. Some important themes discussed include:
- Always be on the lookout for a new friend.
- Look for beauty wherever you are, and keep the memory of it with you.
- Blend in when you need to, stand out when you have the chance.
- Find your own way. You don't have to follow the crowd.
- Know when to speak; know when to listen.
- No matter how you look at it, there is so much to discover.
- If you make a wrong turn, circle back.
- If something gets in your way, move around it.
- Set aside some quiet time to relax and reflect. Every day.
- Appreciate art. It's all around you!
- Make wishes on the stars in the nighttime sky.
- THERE'S ONLY ONE YOU IN THIS GREAT BIG WORLD, MAKE IT A BETTER PLACE!
Each Lee student created a unique rock fish to beautify our campus. Our school of fish represents the diversity and acceptance of others as unique individuals. By respecting individuality, we can each make a difference in our own lives and the lives of those around us. Trasi Judd, an artistically talented parent at our school, joined me in each class to help students design a fish to represent themselves.
Some different tips Trasi showed the students to create expression!